This introduction assumes the reader has skills and experiences in GC and GC/MS analysis or, having no or limited experiences in pyrolysis-GC (Py-GC), is willing to learn and use it in the future.
5. Application areas of analytical pyrolysis
There are vast areas of applications for analytical pyrolysis.
The applications include polymer chemistry, food/daily commodity, forensic science, environment, energy, etc.
A wide variety of applications for Frontier Labs products are offered as Technical notes that are posted on this website.
Listed here are some examples of technical notes on such areas as polymer chemistry, food/daily commodity, forensic, environmental, and energy.
Polymer chemistry, polymeric materials
Polymer composition, molecular structure, degradation, failure analysis
- Determination of cross-linking agent in a polymer
- Characterization of the network structure of UV cured resin
- Analysis of yellowing of PVC sheet
Food and daily commodity
Components contained in plastics, foods, cosmetics, etc.
- Analysis of surface-active agent in cosmetic
- Components analysis of beverages
- Analysis of fatty acids in a cooking oil
- Identification of volatile additives in a food wrap film
Forensic and criminal science
Differentiation of ink stains and natural products
Differentiation of plastics, fibers, paints, inks, etc.
- Differentiation of natural products (beeswax, lavender, etc.)
Analysis of phthalates and flame retardants in polymer
- Determination of restricted phthalates in plastic toys
- Determination of flame retardant in PBT resin
- Determination of flame retardant in polystyrene
- PYA1-063E Analysis of phthalates in PVC by thermal desorption GC/MS
- PYA1-052E Analysis of Brominated Flame Retardant in a Waste Plastics by Thermal Desorption-GC/MS Technique
- PYA3-018E Quantitative analysis of red phosphorus flame retardant in polybutylene terephthalate by evolved gas analysis (EGA)-MS
Energy and biomass
Qualitative/quantitative analysis of biomass and alternative energy
- Characterization of fatty acids in algae
- Determination of fatty acids in zooplankton
Rubbers, elastomers, and adhesives
Component analysis of rubbers and identification using F-Search MS library
- Compositional analysis of blend rubber
- Identification of rubbers using F-Search MS Library
- Photo, thermal, and oxidative degradation of EPDM
- PYA1-047E Compositional Analysis of Isoprene-butadiene-styrene Blend Rubber by Py-GC
- PYA3-014E Viability of Evolved Gas Analysis with F-Search and an MS Library for Qualitative Analysis of Rubber Products
- PYA5-006E Photo, thermal and oxidative degradation of EPDM rubber using online UV irradiation PY-GC/MS
Paper and fibers
Analysis of cellulose and lignin contained in plants
- Analysis of cationic polymer used for textile and paper manufacturing
- Determination of lignin contents in trees
- Differentiation of plant fibers in cotton and hemp
Inks, paints, dyes, pigments
Construction of F-Search MS library for pigments/inks and library search
- Construction of a MS library for pigments
- Construction of a MS library for ballpoint pen inks from pyrograms
- Library search using MS library of printer tonners